Saturday, September 6, 2008

This is... My Favorite Band of All Time


MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes



This is... (by Three Buttons) is brought to you this week by CurlyPops.

I don't think it is any secret that my favorite band of all time is U2. I don't know that anyone comes close to my next favorite band, those tend to shift a little but U2 is CONSTANT! I remember sitting in the lunch room in high school with Spence Winegar, no maybe Ty, no Spence (they are pretty identical...) and hearing the new single off of Achtung. That is one of my first huge memories. The more subtle ones are just hearing everything that came before that album and loving each and every song. But my first real "this is it" moment was in that lunch room.

I've been to quite a few concerts, always great standing seats - right in front of the stage, except in Vancouver, we had great seats off the floor, just perfect. One time, I held up a sign that said "BLUE-EYED BOY MEETS BROWN-EYED GIRL" with an arrow pointing to me and Bono locked eyes with me (my heart is pitter pattering right now at the re-telling) and smiled while singing some song (it is all tunnel-vision, this memory). I'm sure if he is reading this, he remembers that fateful concert. Ahh. I love how they all play off of each other. I love how Larry Mullen just sits at his drums and plays while everyone else is at the fore-front. I love the way they all play off each other while they perform.




I don't even know what to say about this band. We listen to them in the car (the kids and I) more often than anything else. We have dance moves with our hands. Eli thinks Bono gave him the U218 Singles DVD in his stocking for Christmas. The radio station cannot be changed if U2 is playing, even if it is one of my less favorite songs. I just don't think there will ever be a group as talented or life-changing for me. I still have their Joshue Tree shirt in Hebrew, a couple other ones picked up in Jerusalem. I will have my kids wear them and they will be so vintage and cool.


I also admire the way the band supports Bono in his fight against poverty, AIDS, and other diseases in areas of the world where the people can't get the help they need. He meets with world leaders, educating them about the issues, giving spotlight to the issues so that these people won't be forgotten or overlooked.


here is one group - one.org




and red. There are many more.

I admire the music and the men behind it.

3 comments:

Molly said...

This is unrelated to U2 and more applicable to your last post...but oh well. :) I ordered an ironing board cover from Etsy (my first purchase!) after reading your post. Any ideas where to find a cute, girly shower curtain for my girls' bathroom? You seem to know where to find cute stuff like that! Let me know if you have any suggestions. You have my email right? THANKS!

Amanda said...

I even remember how much you loved(love) U2. That Bono - he's quite the man. One question: WHy does he always do that weird thing with his arm, to his side, and his hand tucked in his sleeve, whenever you see him? You with me?

Charlie Cooper said...

Ahhhhh... the memories that come back when I hear U2. It will forever remind me of high school and all the fun we had. Good times.-Angel