Sunday, January 27, 2008

Family Apron Strings?

A couple of weeks ago I signed up for this, an apron swap. I don't know how I came upon it, I signed up on just a whim knowing that I have zero time to do this, but here it is. I then got my partner, who must remain a mystery until I send the apron. I decided to have a look at the woman's blog that set up the apron swap. As I was reading, I saw this. If you notice on the mug there is a symbol at the bottom that resembles a Y. This is what my second cousin Joe "brands" his pottery with, a symbol for Yahweh. He is my mom's cousin, his dad being my Grandma's older brother. I decide do a little investigating.
In connection to all this, my Grandma has been calling me quite a bit the week before and the week of this occurrence giving me updates on her brother who has suffered another heart attack. My Grandma is one of five, the only girl with three older brothers and one younger brother, all of whom she loves and speaks of fondly.
In the investigation process I find out that Lucy, the swap organizer is my great-uncle Owen's daughter, her brother is Joe the Potter and she of course is my mom's cousin and my grandma's niece. I have since had a couple of great email exchanges with her. I have told my Grandma about these happenings and she is "so tickled" about it all. It has brought a sort of comfort to her.

I think it is quite amazing that I have never met this woman, that I know of, though I have met her father a handful of times, and have now "met" her through this. I hope to get to know her better. I would also like to let her know how sorry I am about her father's passing on Friday. I know how much my Grandma loved her brother and how much this upsets her. Lucy and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.
I couldn't find the picture of my Grandma and her brothers, but have one of her and one of her father and mother (but you can't see her face) out at the ranch.









No comments: