Sunday, July 19, 2009

Peas please


Funny thing about peas. There are many different kinds and apparently Joey loves them all. Before we get started, let me tell you about my first call to Poison Control. We grow the kind of peas that are edible, but near them we also grow Sweet Peas, the non-edible beautiful type that have flowers and then non-edible pods grow after the bloom has faded. It has been a week or so since I pulled out all the edible peas and I was pruning the sweet peas. Joey got a hold of the pruned pods and started eating the non-edible peas out of them. Get the picture? Apparently, when eaten (in a larger quantity I hope, but you know Joey and his love of hospitals) they can cause muscle weakness, irritability, and other not so great things. We checked it out with poison control, who checked with us an hour later, and all is well. But I have to be extra good at pruning away the poisonous pods. And Joey just kept saying "peas pleeease, peas pleeeease".


Above is the aftermath of my kids' feeding frenzy. For the month of June, we eat a lot of peas. They never make it past the swingset club house which is about 3 feet from the crop, and we can't wait each day to eat more and more. I'm going to replant for a possible fall crop.


Caroline, running out to check for new ones.





Eli and Caroline know all the tricks to finding some new edibles.


1 comment:

Natalie said...

You are quite the gardener, and the pics of the little ones in the garden...so cute! Let me know if the fall crop works. Also, love the 7 year ond pic of Eli!