Friday, October 5, 2007

Flashback Friday!



This week's theme is about your grandmother's and what they taught you with their craftiness. Let me begin with the lady on the left. This is Cora, my mom's paternal grandmother. She was Dutch, and if I remember correctly, taught my mom to knit when she was three. She also taught her many other needle-using craftiness, which in turn, was passed on to me. The woman on the right is my maternal Gramma. She is crafty, still sewing all of us grandchildren and great-grandkids something when we marry and for Christmas. So mom learned from her, once again helping me. Not pictured is Gramma's mom who was an amazing artist, the blood running through my mom's veins and most, if not all of her siblings. This is a picture of my Gramma (same as up above in the wedding gown), my brother Joe and me at Sea World, I really don't know the year, maybe 1987. Do you remember me telling you about my brother's daring fashion sense? Here it
is in action. My mom grew up with 8 other siblings, she sewed a lot of her own clothing, she still sews all the time, knits, crochets, needlepoint, needlepunch, draws, paints - all these talents which have slightly trickled down to me, given to her by her grandmothers and her mom.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story and photos. Love those old dresses, very stylish.

Paige said...

Oh Joey..What a great hat you are wearing. I'm sure you didn't even think twice about whether or not people would stare. And I know how it is..My family is the same way..All my aunts and my grandma are so so crafty, I beg them to teach me. But it doesn't come natural. I have to try to be creative and crafty. You are the best whit. I love your mom and her skills too.

Mike and Tia Fam said...

I've never seen that photo of our great grandma Cora before. I've heard a few stories from my Dad about her and not much more - and what patience to teach a 3 year old to knit! We gotta get crackin' if Annabelle and Caroline are going to learn :) I am exited to announce that Anna made her first craft this week - a beaded braclet on a green pipe cleaner. After she was done she proudly announced "I made it!". I still feel like saying that after completing a project myself.

Okie Okasan said...

This week is my favorite flashback so far. I love that you went back to your great-grandmothers and I love the photos!

Stacey said...

Wow, photos were such an event back in those days, weren't they?
You weren't kidding about your brother's dress sense!!

The Begleys said...

I'm totally a lurker on your site too. Glad we both broke the air. I wasn't sure if you knew who I was but I have enjoyed catching up on you. I love the way you incorporate pics from the past, especially your childhood. Way too much fun.